Surgical Tech - Per DiemApply Job ID 10217630 Date posted 12/11/2018
1. Demonstrates technical competency: Handles and passes instruments and supplies appropriately. Monitors sterile field for breaks in technique and takes corrective action to maintain sterile field. Applies principles of basic aseptic technique in adhering to sterile technique (gowning, gloving, draping). Checks that all equipment is functioning prior to use. Assists physician with equipment during procedure. Handles specimens according to policy and procedure. Performs counts according to established procedures. Maintains appropriate inventory level for supplies and facilitates the acquisition of supplies. Picks supplies for procedures using preference lists. Revises physician preference lists on an on-going basis. Utilizes down time constructively. 2. Maintains proficiency with unit specific equipment, trouble shoots and reports malfunctions:· Maintains supply levels in room. Checks that all equipment is functioning prior to use. Anticipates need, selects equipment and supplies in an organized and timely manner. Cleans all equipment and instruments prior to and after use. Participates in the evaluation of new supplies, equipment and instruments. 3. Provides a safe and therapeutic environment for patients:· Assists in transfer and positioning of patients. Collaborates in room preparation. Turnover time is within acceptable timeframe. 4. Demonstrates knowledge and correct utilization of all phases of sterilization:· Chooses correct method and time frame for sterilization of equipment. Utilizes correct indicators for methods chosen. Demonstrates safe use of sterilizers. Maintains appropriate monitoring logs according to sterilization methods and hospital policy. Informs charge nurse of any deviations from specified sterilization parameters. 5. Follows the plan of care developed by the RN for the surgical patient:· Verifies allergies, patient identity and surgical site as per policy.Notes abnormalities, limitations, injuries and previous injuries. Identifies presence of internal devices, i.e. pacer, prostheses. 6. Time out: Follows policy and procedure for "time out". 7. Handles drugs and solutions according to policy: Labels containers appropriately to receive drugs/solutions, i.e. dosage. Reads aloud concurrently with nurse, the medication/solution being dispensed, i.e. name of medication, dosage, outdate. Communicates medication information as it is passed to surgeon. Monitors solutions used for irrigation to assist in estimating blood loss.
- High School Graduate or GED required.Diploma from a vocational or technical school preferred.
- BLS required. Graduate of an OR Technician Program preferred and/or national certification as an OR Technician required.
- 2-4 years experience required.5-8 years preferred.
- Ability to communicate in English, both orally and in writing required.
- Ability to handle confidential information required.
- Ability to maintain good health and consistent attendance required.
- Float Registered Nurse - Surgical Specialties United States - New Jersey
- Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN) - Internal Medicine United States - New Jersey
- Registered Nurse - Office Supervisor OB/GYN United States - New Jersey
- Medical Assistant - Podiatry Department United States - New Jersey
Use your profile to find a job that fits your background.Start Matching